Ginger Chilli Cashew Nut Stir Fry with noodles – 2 generous portions
This is by far the tastiest stir fry I’ve ever made. Even the hardened meat eaters will love it! Cashew nuts may seem expensive but you don’t need many. I always buy a large bag, it works out cheaper and is better for the environment.
Oil for frying (sunflower oil is best)
2 handfuls of cashew nuts (buy the broken ones, they’re much cheaper)
2 large cloves of garlic
Thumb sized piece of ginger
4 small green chilli (if you have an Indian grocer near you buy theirs, they are far tastier than anything you can buy in the supermarket)
1/4 large green pepper
1/4 head of broccoli
4 baby sweetcorn
8 mange tout
100g rice noodles
1/4 small cabbage
small bunch of spinach (buy this from a green grocer if you can, it doesn’t lose as much moisture as supermarket stuff)
glug of Tamari soy sauce
1 heaped tsp cornflour blended with a little water to make a paste
2 spring onions
- It’s important to chop all the veg before you start cooking. It will take about 30 mins but it’s very therapeutic. You can buy the packs of stir fry veg to save time but you will compromise on flavour. Keep them in their groups on separate as you are going to add them according to cooking time. Stir fries are quick to cook so if all the veg are ready on separate plates it will make it a lot easier and you won’t burn it. Always use a metal spoon.
- Group 1 – Chop the garlic, ginger and chillis.
- Group 2 – cut the carrots into thin strips.
- Group 3 – cut the pepper into thin strips, slice the mushrooms, cut the broccoli into small florets, cut the mange tout and baby corn in half.
- Put some water on to boil in a saucepan.
- Group 4 – shred the cabbage
- Group 5 – wash the spinach and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Group 6 – chop the spring onions.
- Blend the cornflour and water in a cup.
- Put the noodles in the water, bring back to the boil and switch off the heat (remove if you have an electric hob). They will continue cooking while you cook the veg.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Throw in the cashews and and stir for a couple of minutes until they start to brown.
- Now add the garlic, ginger and chillies and stir for a couple more minutes.
- Add the carrots and stir for about 5 minutes until cooked.
- Add the broccoli, mushrooms, pepper, mange tout and baby corn and stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and stir for about 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted (about a minute).
- Stir in a generous glug of soy sauce then add the cornflour blended with water. Stir for a few seconds until thickened then add the chopped spring onions. Give the vegetables one last stir and turn off the heat.
- Drain the noodles and you’re ready to go!